Page | What We
Offer | Pictures
| The Teams |
What's New | Fixtures
There is a record and match report in
cricket archive of a Ferring match in 1953 vs the Handlebar Cricket
Club. These featured "Professor" Jimmy Edwards who at the
time was a well known comic, actor and sometime musician. Please
go to the following web site handlebarclub.org.uk
Note that there is no return link to our site. To return
to our site you will need to select the BACK button within you web browser.
Two photographs recently supplied (Jan 2010) by our
President (Alan Francis) from matches in the 1970's:
Ferring cc at The Little
Twitten Rec 1973 after the team has been presented with their
Back row (l-r): S.Bluck A.King,
A.Fulton, A.Francis, A.S.Miller, Jack Rayfield, P.Hayes, D.Reid
Front row(l-r): R.Tilbury,
R.Gethin, A.Mustard, A.M.Miller, M.Derrick, D.Woodford.
Ferring CC at Climping Knock-out
Final vs Bury at Arundel CC 1977.
Back row (l-r): R.Rae, A.Alcott,
A.Mustard, P.Knight, A.Francis, R.Gethin.
Front row(l-r): A.Beech, J.Scarfield,
P.Embers, Jon Rayfield, S.Bluck, P.Cole
is believed that Cricket has been played in Ferring for over 120 years
and there are certainly indications that cricket was played between the
two world wars at another ground in Ferring. The photograph above on the
left shows the old railway carriage in its original form. This was moved
to the south west corner of the Little Twittens when the club transferred
there in the 1950's.
Eventually a pitched roof was placed on top of the railway carriage to
help with weatherproofing. The changing room remained effectively unaltered
until the 1990's, this was one of the "charms" of playing cricket at the
Little Twittens along with the chemical toilet and cold running water...
We maintain our own cricket square which has Eight match and two practice
pitches. The outfield is kept short during the playing season by Arun
District Council and is funded out of our ground rent to the council.
We have vastly improved our facilities from the original tin-roofed tea
hut,various sheds and railway carriage changing room (subsequently donated
to the Bluebell
Railway Trust) that some of our long established fixtures will
Due to the hard work of the committee in fund raising over many years
within the club (and generosity of players/vice-presidents) we were able,
in 1994, to erect our own Pavilion. In the summer of 1999 additional fundraising
allowed us to installed showers to the relief of not only our opposition
teams but also some of our more senior players who never believed that
this would ever happen during their playing years.
More information about the club history will be placed here as it becomes
available. We also are looking to publish more photographs of Cricket
played in Ferring over the years.
below of the old buildings in use until the early 1990's